BASI Off-Piste Gap Course in Verbier
This course is aimed at strong skiers who are competent on black runs and above. We are offering a unique 10-week residential program, where the focus is on off-piste riding, mountain safety education, and back country touring. This also includes the option to gain some teaching qualifications along the way.
The course runs Monday to Friday with the weekends generally free, though this may occasionally change due to weather conditions.
Altitude is an official BASI affiliated training partner.
Training for 9 weeks of this course is delivered by top coaches and guides employed directly by Altitude 1 week of this Gap course will be delivered by BASI Trainers supplied and approved by BASI under our BASI Partner Agreement.
- Off-Piste Skiing or Snowboarding coaching
- Use of Video Analysis
- Mountain Safety and Avalanche Course
- Navigation and map reading
- Glacier Travel and Crevasse rescue
- Practical teaching experience & training for exams
- Apres ski
- BASI Level 1 exam
- Train with Verbier’s largest British school
The course gives you the opportunity to gain your level 1 BASI exam and to focus on developing your performance in off-piste riding. You will learn the skills to safely explore the back country and gain a deeper understanding and respect for the mountains.
Week 1: Resort orientation and team building, assessment of your skiing/boarding and creation of an action plan for your development throughout the course. You will also get to meet the rest of the school, find the best bars and have a chance to settle in.
Week 2: First aid course and technical skiing/boarding development. Improve your skiing or snowboarding in all areas; piste, moguls, steeps and off-piste.
Week 3: Level 1 BASI Instructor Course. Training of your technical skiing and introduction to teaching.
Week 4: Off-Piste Safety & Training Week
Week 5: Off-Piste Technical Training
Week 6 & 7: Practical teaching and ski/board school experience with instructors from our ski/snowboard school.
Week 8: Steep and Deep training week
Week 9: Ski touring and snow shoe adventures
Week 10: Glacier Adventures
- 09:00 – 10:20 Technical Development in off-piste riding
- 10:20 – 10:30 Coffee Break
- 10:30 – 12:00 Continue with Development
- 12:00 – 13:00 Lunch
- 13:00 – 14:25 Safety – snow analysis and avalanche safety
- 14:25 – 14:35 Coffee Break and review
- 14:35 – 16:00 Tactical Decisions and route planning off-piste
- 17:00 – 18:00 Video Debrief and Lecture
- 19:00 – 20:00 Dinner
On successful completion of the course, you will have gained your BASI level 1 ski qualification. The BASI qualifications are recognised worldwide and allow you to teach in a whole host of countries including: America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Austria and Italy. In addition you will have completed an off-piste training course and learnt many new skills to help you ride safely in the back country.
The Altitude Futures GAP course includes half board accommodation which consists of breakfast and a 2 course evening meal Monday to Friday. The accommodation will be in chalets or apartments with 2 to 3 sharing a room and located within walking distance of the main lifts and town centre.
Single room occupancy is available on some of the courses at an extra charge. Please contact Laura on email@example.com for details.
Example Menu for a week:
•Monday:Spaghetti Bolognaise and Cheesecake
•Tuesday: Poached Salmon with Fresh Vegetables and Strawberries and Ice Cream
•Wednesday: Vegetable Stir Fry and Fresh Fruit Salad
•Thursday: Roast Lamb and all the trimmings and Banana Custard
•Friday: Chicken Curry and Lemon Sorbet
•Vegetarian and other dietary requirements are also catered for.
•The Altitude Futures course is available without accommodation and food, however we recommend everybody to use the accommodation provided as Altitude views being part of a team as very important.
•Single room occupancy is available.
•Possibilities to stay before or after the course.
Please contact us for further details at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates & Prices
|Course||Level 1&2 Gap||Level 1&2 Gap||Off-Piste Gap|
|Discipline||Ski||Ski||Ski & Snowboard|
|Start Date||26th November 2017||7th January 2017||7th January 2017|
|End Date||3rd Febuary 2018||17th March 2017||17th March 2017|
|Price||£ 8,750 (Discount of £250 if booking before end of May).||£ 8,750 (Discount of £250 if booking before end of May).||£ 8,750 (Discount of £250 if booking before end of May).|
- Over 200 hours of off-piste coaching, guiding and education
- Half board accommodation
- BASI membership and all course fees for Level 1
- 40 hours of educational lectures and debrief
- Equipment deals
- Practical teaching experience
- Full season lift pass
- Mountain safety and Avalanche course
- First aid course
- 24 hour support in resort
- Discount cards for local bars and clubs
- Transfers included
- Discounts on equipment- skis, boots, avalanche packs, goggles
- Work opportunities after the course
- Off snow video debriefs
- Half board accommodation in 3* Chalets
- Associate BASI membership
- Level 1 course fees
- BASI Manual and course material
- Ski and board maintenance clinic
- Career advice seminar
- Amazing off-piste memories
- Welcome drinks
- Biomechanical analysis and assessment
- Ski specific physical training
- 24 hour support in case of emergencies
- Individual mentor to develop training plan
- Psychological preparation for exams and steep slopes
- Internet access
- Mountain avalanche safety course
- Sought after Futures hoody
- Child protection module
- BASP first aid course
- End of course party
- Professional references
- Access to Altitudes network of industry contacts
- Team photo
•Social events and functions
•Equipment (deals available – up to 50% off)
•Single room occupancy
•Private or group French lessons with Verbier Language School
•Learn to snowboard/ski or telemark
•Paragliding with Verbier Summits
•Come to Verbier prior to the course starting
•Accommodation opportunities for the rest of the season
•Equipment deals with No. 1 Snowsports Shop
•Private Alpine, Freestyle and Race Coaching
•After the courses train for the next level – BASI 3 ISIA
King of the GAP Course